Tuesday

Salvation Army - Ring a Bell

Christmas time is always such a joyous season, I can honestly say it's the most wonderful time of the year for me, I find people are a lot nicer, more giving, and all around in just a better mood (except the ones in queue at the mall) However this is also the time of year when the weather gets extremely cold and harsh and the homeless are faced with a whole new dilema that some of us will never face and for that we must be thankful.


As I was driving home the other night after watching  The Blind Side (of all movies) I noticed a homeless old man standing with his little vet sign asking for money with no coat on!! I swear it must have been 35 degrees ....poor fella....well I gave him a few dollars and wished I had a coat or something I could give him and it left me feeling sad and depressed as I know there are millions of people around the world in similar or worst state. ...I know that some of these people are slackers but my view is this; regardless of what his/her reason may be for begging , it is still a tough thing to do when it's obvious they are hungry and cold and would rather be sleeping in a warm comfy bed at 12am.


Though I wear my heart on my sleeve and would love to help by going to out to fund drives for the needy and ring bells for the homeless I have a job and family that keeps me extremely busy but since I'm too caring to be deterred I looked online for ways that I can offer my help using my computer instead of just leaving it up to everyone else...this is afterall the spirit of sharing and giving and I am giving back with all my heart...


If you are wanting to ring a christmas bell that will be heard worldwide... this is a good place to start...feel free to visit them online at  The Salvation Army to make a donation or click on my widget below.



Personal fundraising widget for 2009 Red Kettle campaign


I am in the process of packing 2 boxes full of clothing that I will be donating to to Goodwill tomorrow, those in turn will be sold in their stores to help fund job training programs, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges.


If you feel like donating, use the goodwill locator to find the closest drop off location in your area, find a box or a bag fill it with gently used clothing you may have around the house and drop off your donation.


* Did you know that besides cleaning out your closet, garage, etc and helping someone in need; your donation can also lead to generous tax deductions. Take the following steps to ensure you get a proper tax deduction for your goodwill donations. You will be surprised at how it might add up! fist see this goodwill valuation guide  then visit their tax deduction page and be sure to get a receipt from goodwill to use for your taxes next year.

Happy Holidays!!

No comments: